MerryMen Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MerryMen Forums

The Official Forum for the Merry Man!

HomeChatLatest imagesSearchRegisterNew postsLog in

Pirates win seat in EU parliament

Go down 
+7
biupSquid
Ogg
flame
Devilboy
Patrol
c8220
Thomson
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Thomson
Head Graphics
Head Graphics
Thomson

Male Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-06-08

Pirates win seat in EU parliament Empty
PostSubject: Pirates win seat in EU parliament   Pirates win seat in EU parliament I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 10:03 pm

Arr!

Story from http://torrentfreak.com/how-pirates-shook-european-politics-090608/

Quote :
With 7.1 percent of the vote, the Swedish Pirate Party has shocked its critics and secured a seat in the European Parliament. The Pirates received more votes from those under 30 than any other party in the European elections yesterday, and this was celebrated with pints of rum and loads of pirate chants.

Late Sunday night, Swedish Prime Minister Fredrik Reinfeldt congratulated the Pirate Party on their unprecedented win at the European elections.

The Pirate Party is seen a serious competitor in Swedish politics now, a fact underscored by the Prime Minister who said that his own party will formulate a clear policy regarding net integrity and copyright issues in preparation for the Swedish national elections in September 2010.

A few hours earlier, the party dinner had come to a close with volunteers and members singing “The Broadband Hymn”. They had fittingly gathered at the Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm, and as Swedish TV published the exit polls results indicating that the Pirate Party would get around 7% of the votes, wild cheers broke out. Party leader Rick Falkvinge took to the stage.

“Together we have today re-shaped the political map in Europe,” he said. “Right now, Europe is watching what is happening here and politicians everywhere are scrambling to understand our issues. They now know that the party that has information-political perspectives can win many votes.”

And yes, it did. 214,313 of them in Sweden on Sunday. 7.1 percent of the vote and a guarantee of at least one seat in the European Parliament.

The Pirate Party was the most popular party among voters under 30 years of age. Taking into account that Prime Minister Fredrik Reinfeldt’s Moderate Party is the most popular party among voters over 65 years of age, one can understand why Reinfeldt later in the evening said he will sit down with the Moderate Youth leader Niklas Wykman - a critic of the surveillance legislation and anti-filesharing laws - to discuss Internet issues.

“We’ll share files in Brussels!” a young man shouted as he ran to the bar at election night. Meanwhile, journalists from all over Europe who had flown in to cover the unique occasion tried to get their piece of party leader Rick Falkvinge and vice chairman Christian Engström.

The latter, who will probably take the party’s seat in the EU parliament, held a short speech in which he thanked all the volunteers. The Pirate Party stays true to its net-roots and has no formal organization. Anyone who thinks he or she can contribute is welcome to do so simply by posting on the forum and going out and doing it. No formal decisions on campaigning are taken and the thousands of party ballots have been distributed to voting centers simply by someone living close and wanting to play their part.

“It’s amazing that it worked. I never thought it would,” Engström joked.

A journalist from Swedish radio broke into the celebrations with a question for party founder Rick Falkvinge on how he felt. With champagne in his hand and pride in his eyes, he just smiled: “How does it feel to write history? It feels pretty damn good.”

Today, after a night spent drinking rum and chanting seafarer standards, the pirates woke up finding themselves on the front pages of the Swedish newspapers. Pirates waving Jolly Rogers. Pirates taking celebratory late night dips in fountains. Pirates laughing. Pirates hugging. And there is consensus among the op-eds and political pundits on how it could happen: Enthusiasm paid off.

The two large parties in Sweden, the Social Democrats and the Moderate Party, are heavily criticized because of their lack of engagement in the European Parliament. Meanwhile, the Green Party (which also had a great election with 10.9%) and the Pirate Party positioned themselves on their respective expert issues and built a lot of support from the base.

When the EU parliament meets after summer, there will be at least one pirate in the midst of European parliament. If the Lisbon treaty is voted through, there can be two. It may not seem a lot in order to make a difference, but as a blogger put it: One pirate can hijack a whole ship.
Back to top Go down
c8220
Promotion Staff
Promotion Staff
c8220

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2009-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Pirates win seat in EU parliament   Pirates win seat in EU parliament I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 10:05 pm

I need to look up the Swedish Pirate Party.
Back to top Go down
Thomson
Head Graphics
Head Graphics
Thomson

PostSubject: Re: Pirates win seat in EU parliament   Pirates win seat in EU parliament I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 10:09 pm

Very Happy

Germany has one now too, but they haven't had time to get big yet Sad. They only got 1% of the German vote.
Back to top Go down
c8220
Promotion Staff
Promotion Staff
c8220

PostSubject: Re: Pirates win seat in EU parliament   Pirates win seat in EU parliament I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 10:13 pm

Ah so they're not pirates like blackbeard.
Back to top Go down
Patrol
Graphic Designer
Graphic Designer
Patrol

Male Number of posts : 250

PostSubject: Re: Pirates win seat in EU parliament   Pirates win seat in EU parliament I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 10:20 pm

c8220 wrote:
Ah so they're not pirates like blackbeard.

That would be much more exciting.
Back to top Go down
Devilboy
Devilboy

Male Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2009-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Pirates win seat in EU parliament   Pirates win seat in EU parliament I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 10:20 pm

pirat ARGH!

I wish Gordon Brown was a pirate Razz
Back to top Go down
Thomson
Head Graphics
Head Graphics
Thomson

PostSubject: Re: Pirates win seat in EU parliament   Pirates win seat in EU parliament I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 10:35 pm

Devilboy wrote:
pirat ARGH!

I wish Gordon Brown was a pirate Razz

I think he would quite suit being a pirate Smile

Pirates win seat in EU parliament Brown
Back to top Go down
c8220
Promotion Staff
Promotion Staff
c8220

PostSubject: Re: Pirates win seat in EU parliament   Pirates win seat in EU parliament I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 10:43 pm

Did their campaigns use pirate images?
Back to top Go down
Devilboy
Devilboy

Male Number of posts : 82

PostSubject: Re: Pirates win seat in EU parliament   Pirates win seat in EU parliament I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 10:49 pm

c8220 wrote:
Did their campaigns use pirate images?

Think so, and they gained ALOT of popularity during the Pirate bay case.
Back to top Go down
c8220
Promotion Staff
Promotion Staff
c8220

PostSubject: Re: Pirates win seat in EU parliament   Pirates win seat in EU parliament I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 10:50 pm

Sounds kind of stupid to me. Arrr me mateys! Vote for me, bucko!
Back to top Go down
flame
Participant
Participant
flame

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2009-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Pirates win seat in EU parliament   Pirates win seat in EU parliament I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 9:09 am

shut up or ill be mopping the ship woth ya head
Back to top Go down
Ogg
Promotion Staff
Promotion Staff
Ogg

Male Number of posts : 251

PostSubject: Re: Pirates win seat in EU parliament   Pirates win seat in EU parliament I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 10:30 am

I will vote for them!
Back to top Go down
biupSquid
biupSquid

Male Number of posts : 42

PostSubject: Re: Pirates win seat in EU parliament   Pirates win seat in EU parliament I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 11:32 am

Interesting what you can do when you pick an issue close to people's hearts. The funny thing is that, despite the comical name, they're probably going to be pretty major players politically now and into the future.

Good on them for campaigning for something they believe in!
Back to top Go down
Simmins
Simmins

Male Number of posts : 209

PostSubject: Re: Pirates win seat in EU parliament   Pirates win seat in EU parliament I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2009 4:30 am

Its like when more than 70,000 people declared themselves members of the Jedi order in the 2001 census in Australia.

lol!
Back to top Go down
Ogg
Promotion Staff
Promotion Staff
Ogg

PostSubject: Re: Pirates win seat in EU parliament   Pirates win seat in EU parliament I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2009 7:18 am

Simmins wrote:
Its like when more than 70,000 people declared themselves members of the Jedi order in the 2001 census in Australia.

lol!

Jedi is officially a religion
Back to top Go down
Simmins
Simmins

PostSubject: Re: Pirates win seat in EU parliament   Pirates win seat in EU parliament I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2009 8:14 am

o rly?

Source?
Back to top Go down
VelvetThighs
Head Moderator
Head Moderator
VelvetThighs

Male Number of posts : 190

PostSubject: Re: Pirates win seat in EU parliament   Pirates win seat in EU parliament I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2009 9:19 am

Ogg wrote:
Simmins wrote:

lol!

No it isn't, the census can't decide what is officially a religion...

Jedi is NOT a religion.
Back to top Go down
Ogg
Promotion Staff
Promotion Staff
Ogg

PostSubject: Re: Pirates win seat in EU parliament   Pirates win seat in EU parliament I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2009 9:45 am

VelvetThighs wrote:
Ogg wrote:
Simmins wrote:

lol!

No it isn't, the census can't decide what is officially a religion...

Jedi is NOT a religion.

Well its not officially a religion. But there are enough followers to make it one!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedi_census_phenomenon
Back to top Go down
flame
Participant
Participant
flame

Number of posts : 58

PostSubject: Re: Pirates win seat in EU parliament   Pirates win seat in EU parliament I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2009 11:09 am

there really are some weridos out there isnt there

-Squiddles
Back to top Go down
DarthStuv
DarthStuv

Female Number of posts : 348

PostSubject: Re: Pirates win seat in EU parliament   Pirates win seat in EU parliament I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2009 12:26 pm

lol. I should've done that. :p
Back to top Go down
grantmitch1
grantmitch1

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Pirates win seat in EU parliament   Pirates win seat in EU parliament I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 1:01 am

This is really interesting. One MEP cannot make a difference in the EU Parliament which means in effect the Pirate MEP has been elected on a con.

He will now receive the rewards of being an MEP which include tonnes of expenses and a good salary.
Back to top Go down
Ogg
Promotion Staff
Promotion Staff
Ogg

PostSubject: Re: Pirates win seat in EU parliament   Pirates win seat in EU parliament I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 5:10 am

Grantmitch I really missed your debates. Can you start some more?
Back to top Go down
DarthStuv
DarthStuv

Female Number of posts : 348

PostSubject: Re: Pirates win seat in EU parliament   Pirates win seat in EU parliament I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 8:14 am

GM1 is here! Neutral
Back to top Go down
Thomson
Head Graphics
Head Graphics
Thomson

PostSubject: Re: Pirates win seat in EU parliament   Pirates win seat in EU parliament I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 12:02 am

grantmitch1 wrote:
This is really interesting. One MEP cannot make a difference in the EU Parliament which means in effect the Pirate MEP has been elected on a con.

He will now receive the rewards of being an MEP which include tonnes of expenses and a good salary.

2, when this something or other goes through which gives Sweden a few more seats Smile.
But you are right, even 2 seats mean nothing. It does show that people are willing to back this kind of party though, and parties are already starting up in other countries. If the majority of European countries get one, and people vote in the same way, there could be a lot of pirates in parliament in the next elections.

It will be interesting to see how it goes Smile.

They only really stand for one thing though, all it would take would be for another party to take the same stance as them for them to lose a lot of their votes.
Back to top Go down
grantmitch1
grantmitch1

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Pirates win seat in EU parliament   Pirates win seat in EU parliament I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 2:58 am

Thomson wrote:

But you are right, even 2 seats mean nothing. It does show that people are willing to back this kind of party though, and parties are already starting up in other countries. If the majority of European countries get one, and people vote in the same way, there could be a lot of pirates in parliament in the next elections.

It will be interesting to see how it goes Smile.

Two seats mean nothing. The Green Party think they are doing well when they only have two seats. Now, UKIP with 13 seats, that is a different story.

13 seats in itself is nothing special, however, coupled with being the second biggest party and the fact that the Conservatives are proclaimed Eurosceptics it certainly adds to the fact that Britain is the awkward partner of Europe.

I doubt the pirate party will gain that much momentum. The party is popular with young people because young people are too poor to buy software legally. Razz
Back to top Go down
Ogg
Promotion Staff
Promotion Staff
Ogg

PostSubject: Re: Pirates win seat in EU parliament   Pirates win seat in EU parliament I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 10:12 am

I've got a friend who'd vote for them
Back to top Go down
Simmins
Simmins

PostSubject: Re: Pirates win seat in EU parliament   Pirates win seat in EU parliament I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 3:45 pm

grantmitch1 wrote:
The party is popular with young people because young people are too poor to buy software legally. Razz

Truer words have never been spoken,

Simmins,
as he downloads music on the fun side of the law.
Back to top Go down
c8220
Promotion Staff
Promotion Staff
c8220

PostSubject: Re: Pirates win seat in EU parliament   Pirates win seat in EU parliament I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 4:28 am

That would be the NNE side right?
Back to top Go down
Simmins
Simmins

PostSubject: Re: Pirates win seat in EU parliament   Pirates win seat in EU parliament I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 6:28 am

NNE? North-northeast?
Back to top Go down
Ogg
Promotion Staff
Promotion Staff
Ogg

PostSubject: Re: Pirates win seat in EU parliament   Pirates win seat in EU parliament I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 8:57 am

Simmins wrote:
NNE? North-northeast?

yeh :p
I think...
Back to top Go down
c8220
Promotion Staff
Promotion Staff
c8220

PostSubject: Re: Pirates win seat in EU parliament   Pirates win seat in EU parliament I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 3:41 am

Simmins wrote:
NNE? North-northeast?

Or Non-viable Nation Economy
or Novo Nordisk Engineering
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pirates win seat in EU parliament   Pirates win seat in EU parliament I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pirates win seat in EU parliament
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
MerryMen Forums :: Chit Chat :: News, Politics and Current Events-
Jump to: